Technology is ever-present in today’s world, and if you want your business to keep up with the industry, you need to stay on top of the latest technological trends. One of the recent tech trends most relevant to business is mobile tablets, and there is no better time than the New Year to embrace this trend in your workplace. Tablets have extensive and valuable uses across all industries, so regardless of whether you are in retail, finance, healthcare, education or another area, you can find a way to use tablets to improve your business in 2013.
Not only will you generate excitement among your employee and customer base by implementing this trend in your organization, but as you start and continue to use this technology, you will quickly realize the benefits that mobile technology brings to various areas of your business (including the bottom line!). If you are not quite convinced, though, here are some reasons why tablets are worth the investment for the coming year:
- Increase employee productivity: Tablets keep your employees connected to your business at all times. Whether they are traveling on a business trip or on the train to/from work, they can easily pull out their tablet to check email, update a document or catch up on the latest industry news.
- Attract top performers: You can use tablets as a major selling point when interviewing job candidates; the best employees are not only excited by the idea of using mobile technology to complete their work, but many have come to expect it. Even if you cannot provide a tablet for each individual employee, prospective employees will be impressed by the fact that your company knows how to use technology to get the job done.
- Increase profit: More and more businesses are using tablets for credit card processing, inventory checks, or instant online ordering, and all of these factors make it easier for your business to make money. The increased mobility provided by tablets means that employees can instantly access the information customers need to make a decision and a purchase, ultimately resulting in more sales and more profit for your company.
- Encourage innovation: Open up new opportunities for your business by encouraging employees to find and use the mobile applications that could help them better do their jobs. Whether they are news apps, health information resources, or custom-developed apps for your business, there are a plethora of apps out there that may help your business do something in a more efficient manner.
- Stay connected: Perhaps you already use social media to keep the world informed about what’s going on with your business, but you don’t want to limit your interactions with the virtual world to business hours! Equip your dedicated social media contact with a tablet to ensure that they can share pictures, links and updates in real-time.
As you can see, there are many benefits to reap from using mobile tablets in your workplace. The opportunities to increase employee productivity, attract top performers, increase profit, encourage innovation and stay connected are just a few of the ways in which tablets can improve your business in the next year. If you are still hesitating, you don’t have to look far to validate the success of tablets in the workplace: many corporations and business leaders have already started using tablets as a business tool and are daily reaping the return on this worthwhile investment!
The holidays fill our calendars with exciting events:
parties, concerts, gift exchanges, and family visits. With those events,
though, come the many preparation tasks associated with them, and for most people,
the largest of those tasks is shopping. While shopping can be a fun leisure
activity at times, the sheer length of holiday shopping lists can render it
stressful during this season. A tablet is the perfect tool to help you manage
and mitigate your never-ending task list during this shopping crunch time. Here
are four ways that you can use a tablet to help you finish (or perhaps start) your
- Centralize everything in one location: Say
goodbye to digging through piles of papers and sticky notes in search of the
right list at the right time. With a tablet, everything you need for the
holidays is neatly stored in one place: meal plans, recipes, grocery lists, gift
ideas, sizes, and even coupons. You can update the lists as you purchase items to
help you visualize your progress.
- Shop sales efficiently: If you want to
score the best deals this season, there is no need to trek from store to store
in search of the best price. Once you find an item you want to purchase, you
can do a quick price check by using price checker apps or you can simply flip
through a few online ads. It is easy to peruse websites and online flyers on larger
tablet screens, so you won’t be burdened by tiny letters and technical
difficulties with the screen display. If you find the exact item you need, you
can even skip the trip to the desired store and order it online right away!
- Stay on budget: A tablet provides instant
mobile access both to your bank account and to budget apps that are helpful for
monitoring spending, especially during busy times. When you have a flurry of
trips to make, it is easy to lose track of what you are spending, and this just
causes more stress. With only a few taps after each purchase, you can rest
assured that you are staying on budget (or are aware of exactly how much you
are going over budget) for your holiday purchases.
- Increase productivity: The holidays bring
long lines to stores; why not be productive while you wait in them? Use those
10 or 20 minutes in line to update task lists, pay bills, send emails, or even take
a quick break to play a game or chat with friends. A tablet has everything you
need to stay productive while on-the-go.
If you already own a tablet, then consider
implementing these tips to make your holiday shopping a little easier this
year. If you do not yet own a tablet, it is not too late to put one at the top
of this year’s list or to buy yourself an early present! A tablet will help you
stay organized during the busy holiday season, and the conveniences it provides
can save you a great deal of time and trouble. So grab your tablet (and your
car charger) and get ready to conquer your holiday shopping!
, the two most widely used mobile operating systems
on the market today, are vying to be number one. The newest OS for Apple
is the iOS6 Siri
newest OS is the 4.2 Jelly Bean
. So which one is superior? Which one has the best features, and which one will blow away the competition this year?Apple Versus Android: The Differences
When is comes to mobile OS, Apple
have been doing battle in the electronic, wireless market for years, each coming out with their own versions of mobile devices. The Android Jelly Bean
came out last summer, shortly before iOS6 Siri by Apple
. In comparing the two, each has its similarities, as wells as it's pros and cons.
Some neat and exciting features of the iOS6 Siri include:
- Facebook integration
- Easier podcast search
- Enhanced panorama view on the camera. In additions, select photos from the Photos app, tap the Share button, choose who you want to share your photos with, and they’re on their way to a certain audience.
- Plus, Apple has integrated their own mapping software, which means no more Google Maps, but Apple also offers free drive-by-drive directions. Apple's map graphics and text are incredibly detailed. Tilt and rotate to view an area, and Maps keeps the names of streets and places where they belong. Get visual and spoken turn-by-turn navigation and real-time traffic updates.
- A user can also put the iPhone in the "Do not disturb" mode, so it basically takes your phone off the hook, for set periods of time, without needing to shut if off.
- Siri also has a voice-activated virtual assistant, who can make OpenTable Reservations for local dining, let you know which movies are playing at the local theater, and give accurate directions, as well as speak sport's scores and standings.
- Passbook - boarding passes, movie tickets, retail coupons, loyalty cards, and more are now all in one place.
- Offers a VIP treatment for certain email contacts, whose messages stay on top of incoming mail
The Android 4.2 Jelly Bean is sleek, speedy and smooth. Some great features include:
Which One is Superior?
- Faster navigation and orientation changes
- More reactive and uniform touch responses
- To improve battery life, the Jelly Bean turns down your device's CPU when not in active use, and vice-versa, boosts the CPU, when in active mode.
- Gesture Typing – just glide your finger over the letters you want to type. Jelly Bean also offers a blind person to navigate the UI, using not only touch and swipe gestures, but also speech output. A user can also get full support accessibility services for Braille.
- It also offers language support for Arabic and Hebrew, as well as bidirectional texts to assure the platform is more accessible to more people around the world. In fact, it supports eighteen new input languages, such as Thai, Hindi and Persian, as well as other Indic languages.
- Snap pictures in every direction - photo spheres that put you right inside the scene. A user can also view the whole photo in MMS mode and preview a photo in notifications, after taking a shot.
- Multiple user support - Everyone can have their own homescreen, background, widgets, apps and games. Android was built with multitasking at its core, so it’s a snap to switch between users – no need to log in and out. Available only on tablets.
Both the Apple iOS6
and the Android Jelly Bean OS
have their perks, and by market standards, have improved greatly upon design, navigation and features. In getting rid of Google's apps
, the iOS6
no longer has YouTube
, and Google Maps
, which could pose a problem with users, since they use the app quite a bit. In fact, You Tube
is the most popular video website worldwide. So, in terms of usability and reliability, the iOS6
has some good features, but the Jelly Bean OS
seems to be much more exciting, with enhanced features and some truly innovative elements to it. Plus, it seems Apple
is trying to catch up with Android
by offering features, such as Panorama pictures, which Android
already had available. Facetime is also much better on the Android
. Google+ Hangout
features seem more superior , since they let the user see live streams of everyone in a hangout, letting you chat with up to nine people at once. Considering all the added features and apps, Google's Android Jelly Bean MAY
be a far superior choice than the Apple iOS6
...? But tell that to an Apple
OK - I know, I know - we went over this last week! BUT I just wanted to elaborate further on tablets VERSUS the iPad...
Everything from its slim design, it's spectacular Retina Display, and the wide range of available apps, make it clear that the third-generation iPad is pretty amazing. Regardless of its popularity, however, Apple isn't the only contender in the tablet marketplace. Whether you're just not an Apple person or are looking for something a bit less pricey, there are plenty of worthy alternatives to the iPad. Here's a look at 6 of the hottest tablets on the market besides the iPad.
1. Google Nexus 7
Yes, we visited these first two last week but they certainly warrant the attention. There are plenty of Android slates on the market in all price ranges and sizes, however, none have captured the attention of consumer's like the Nexus 7. This tablet is the very first manufactured under Google's Nexus brand and it boasts a highly powerful quad-core Tegra 3 CPU, a brilliant high-resolution screen, Google's own voice-driven search app, and the company's brand-new Android 4.1 Jelly Bean OS. Add on the affordable price of $199 and this 7 inch tablet becomes one of the top contenders against the iPad.
2. ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700
AGAIN - If any tablet is going to give the iPad's Retina Display a run for it's money, it's this one! The ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700 is known for being the original Android slate that offered a full HD display screen. The tablet utilizes the quad-core Nvidia Tegra T33 processor and boasts new and improved camera updates. Price point comes in around $460.
3. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
What is it that makes the Samsung Galaxy 2 a worthy competitor of the iPad? From the launch of its first Galaxy Tablet, Samsung was able to create a tablet that was thinner and lighter than the iPad and with strong speakers. Now, with its successor on the market, Samsung has proven that they will not settle for the status quo. The Galaxy 2 includes amazing additions like smart remote capability so that you can control your TV and also features a mircoSD card slot. Price is close to the ASUS ~$450...
4. Acer Iconia Tab A200
Although you may not have heard the name "Acer" in awhile, the company should not be ruled out of the tablet market . In fact, the Acer Iconia Tab A200 is out to prove that there is a place for tablets priced at the midpoint between the Nexus 7 and the iPad - around $330. Featuring dual-core performance, solid graphics, Android software enhancements, and a full-sized USB port, this slate is not a bad deal for the price.
5. Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet
In addition to being a great way to enjoy your own personal library on the go, the Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet is also a lower-cost ($~180) and quality alternative to the iPad. This slate features a built-in microphone and microSD card expansion pack as well as running on a fast processor so that you are never left tapping your fingers waiting for your apps to load.
6. Amazon Kindle Fire
This wonderful tablet is able to deliver all of Amazon's content by way of a sturdy slate that is sleek and aesthetically pleasing. The 7-inch tablet provides bright, high-resolution display so that you can enjoy all of your favorite movies in high def. In addition to this, the Kindle Fire boasts an extremely fast processor, a clean interface, and 16GB of personal storage space. All of this is available at the low price of $199, meaning that the Kindle Fire is sure to be a major competitor to the Google Nexus 7 this holiday season.
Don't assume that the iPad is all that there is. By looking into other tablet options, you could find a better fit for yourself while saving some money!